An American in 2011
09/06/2011 — 1 Min Read — In Politics
Please refrain from thinking of this post as some kind of jab or 'attack' on America. This is quite simply a collection of attitudes, ideas, and values that many of my fellow Americans hold too close.
- I don't want to try and do something new, it's scary.
- Little things about people annoy me, therefore I write them off as immediately "wrong".
- Learn something at home? While I am away from work? FUCK that.
- Write? I barely read an entire book (fiction or technical) in a year, why write?
- Think critically? Hmm...that sounds like it goes hand and hand with number 4.
- My concentration has been butchered by Youtube so I can't focus for more then 3 minutes.
- I plan on doing nothing to alleviate number 6 or any other numbers...remember number 2?
- My work ethic stops at 5pm...on the dot.
- I am entitled to job X because I have completed X amount of education.
- ...but I want to be successfull so shortcuts and eventually my parent's money will see me through.
- I don't understand other cultures although I may have graduated with a religious studies / women studies / anthropology / european government studies major.
- I want to make my "own way".
- That work ethic thing, yeah that stuff also ceases on Friday.
- I know all I need to know about subject X, especially if I do it as a job.
- I am too scared to travel because of 1, 2, 3, 7, 11...
- I compare myself to my siblings, everything they get, I deserve.
- I spend money on things, items, stuff instead of buying tools.
- And above all else: I am bored.